I have to be honest, I never understood the popularity of fried pickles until I had some Rootie’s Fried Pickles. Yall, they are THE BEST! At home, I use an egg and milk batter, then dip them in flour. One of my restaurants uses a basic club soda batter…so, basically, you can pick your favorite batter. Same goes for the dipping sauce. I have listed a few options for you below, but really, you don’t have to have a recipe for this….just use your imagination!
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon drained horseradish
2 teaspoons ketchup
Use it right out of the bottle
Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce
1 cup Ranch dip
2 T. hot sauce, like Frank’s or Tabasco
½ t. cayenne pepper
Fried Pickles #1
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart Rootie’s Pickles, drained
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg, milk, and 1 tablespoon of flour. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining flour, add salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer or heavy deep skillet. Dip pickle slices into the milk mixture, then into the flour mixture. Repeat dipping.
- Place the pickles carefully into the hot oil. Avoid overcrowdingcrystal by frying in several batches. Fry until pickles float to the surface, and are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
Fried Pickles #2
2 Cups Rootie’s Pickles – Hot or Originals, drained
peanut or vegetable oil
½ cup all purpose flour
- Heat 1 inch peanut oil in a pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, whisk the flour and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl until smooth. Spread the pickles on paper towels and pat dry.
- Add half of the pickles to the batter and toss to coat. Remove from the batter using a slotted spoon, letting the excess drip off, and add to the oil one at a time. Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Return the oil to 375 degrees F and repeat with the remaining pickles and batter. Serve immediately.